PRINT ME!

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving -- A Forgotten Holiday

As I write, it is near dark on Saturday, November 29th.  Spiced pumpkin bars are baking in the oven, and this will be the last “goody” fixed for a couple of weeks.  The low carb menus will be what is strictly served for the next couple of weeks, at least, until the Christmas treats are prepared.  

My son, daughter and the younger granddaughter ate Thanksgiving dinner with my husband and me.  My “brood” cooked all the side dishes and desserts and left the turkey, dressing and gravy for me to fix.  This Thanksgiving was a time that we enjoyed being together and reaffirmed our family bond.  This was my younger granddaughter’s first Thanksgiving with us as that she and my daughter lived on the NW coast and then above D.C. for awhile.  She had seen us at other times when they flew in to visit us for other holidays, but never for Thanksgiving.  The photo is of the turkeys that she made from cookies and candy corn.  Of course, everyone had to eat at least one.  

I love autumn, and also look forward to Thanksgiving.  Over the past years, I have noted that the commercial world starts with Christmas decorations and stocking gift ideas for Christmas almost as soon as the Fourth of July is over (or so it seemed).  Thanksgiving has been so overlooked.  Thanksgiving is a time for families to get together and give thanks to God for our blessings.  I am also saddened to see the Black Friday sales and pre-Black Friday sales now.  My family chose to just be together and spend the time together, and avoided the shopping frenzy.  We did take the granddaughter to see a movie, for a Friday matinee, that we adults really didn’t care for, but she enjoyed it and we enjoyed seeing her laugh and then talk about the movie as we drove home from the theatre.  We made memories that I hope will last a lifetime.  

The spiced bars are now cooling on the table.  It will soon be time for me to make a cuppa and serve the treat for everyone at our dining room table.  Yes, we are a family that eats meals together.  I hope that my granddaughters continue doing so with their family on a daily basis, in the future, and not just on Thanksgiving or special occasions. 

I also hope that Thanksgiving will be as special to them as it is for me.  





No comments:

JellyBean Critters Video

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.

Cher Chic's Fan Box